Ep 28: How to Spend Less at Christmas
Last week some of you participated in a listener survey where I asked what brings you the most anxiety during the holidays. Your number one answer? Finances. You said you had too many gifts to buy and not enough money. You said you didn’t know how to cut back or where to start. So, this week that’s precisely what we will discuss: Creative ways to spend less this Christmas.
The biggest takeaway from this episode:
Balance is the art of knowing when to say no and when to say yes. When you say no to something you’re actually saying yes to something else. By saying no to overspending this Christmas, you will be saying yes to less anxiety. By saying no to going into debt for Christmas gifts in 2019, you are saying yes to an anxiety-reduced 2020. By saying “no” to the trap of materialism and consumerism—to things that the Bible warns are temporary and fleeting and meaningless, you are saying yes to freedom and things that are eternal and meaningful.
NEVER GO INTO DEBT TO BUY CHRISTMAS GIFTS. THAT BLESSES ABSOLUTELY NO ONE!
The best thing you can do is start setting aside money now for Christmas 2020.
3 Ways to Spend Less:
- You can make extra money. For a frazzled mom, the best way to make money is to sell some stuff (win-win, because you will also have a decluttered space!)
- You can reallocate the money you have.
- Look for things to cancel, suspend, cut back on, even temporarily.
- Don’t send Christmas cards.
- Use old gift cards you have on hand.
- You can reduce the amount you spend
- Spend less per gift
- Buy fewer gifts for kids
- Buy for fewer people
- Look for free ways to enjoy the holiday
- Take a year off–explain to your friends and family that you don’t have the money this year. They will understand.
For a giant list of gift ideas–all under $25, visit The Scoop on Balance.
If you are in debt, I highly recommend Dave Ramsey.
Take a screenshot of The Balanced MomCast logo and share it on Facebook and Instagram! Tag a few mom friends…and don’t forget to tag me (The Scoop on Balance) too!
Do you want to start your own podcast? Listen to this episode of The Podcasting Party where I sat on a panel to discuss obstacles and how we overcame them.
Email me at email@example.com
Click Here to Join my Email list to keep up with me outside the podcast!
Read more balance stuff at thescooponbalance.com
Follow me on Pinterest
To help you find balance with social media and all other things, get Finding Your Balance, an 11-Lesson Bible Study.