Ep 131: Helping Your Family Transition to Healthful Eating with Char Nolan
Today I continue my conversation with chef Char Nolan. She addresses some of your most common struggles like “I want to cook more healthfully but I’m already stretched so thin” and “I took the time to make this meal, now how do I get my family to eat it?” and “My kids are so busy in the evenings it’s just easier to grab fast food” and so much more. Lean in to this conversation mamas because you have a wise mentor in your earbuds today.
Highlights of this Episode:
- “On day-10 [of eating a plant-based diet] I didn’t have one ache in my body…this food-as-medicine thing must be real”
- Advice for moms wanting to transition to a healthy lifestyle
- Shop the perimeter
- Meatless Monday
- Get kids involved (they eat what they make)
- Start gradually
- Don’t remove things from your child’s diet that will make them miserable
- Read labels
- Make smoothies for your kids and let them pick the ingredients
- Give kids a say on lunches and snacks
- Use precut and frozen veggies, as well as the deli counter and rotisserie chickens to save time
- Make eating dinner as a family a priority
- Be nice to yourself!
- Find a good crossover meal (don’t start with tofu!)
- Mix take-out with home-cooked
- Have an alternative meal if you are introducing something new
- Organize a meal plan
- Consider a meal swap with neighbors
- Try frozen veggie burgers
LINKS: (some of these are affiliate links–I will receive a small commission if you purchase an item through this link at no additional cost to you)
My 2021 Holiday Gift Guide for the Home Chef
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell B Esselstyn
Rich Roll Podcast with Chef AJ (the podcast I listened to that made me want to try a plant-based diet)
Chickpea Tunaless Salad Recipe
Vitamix (Char’s favorite kitchen appliance!) (Mine, too!!!)
Connect with Char Nolan on Instagram @char_nolan
Order Holiday Meals from Whole Foods Market
Need a Christmas gift for that woman in your life? How ’bout these?
Finding Your Balance is available on Amazon for $14.99
Is the Voice in My Head God or Just Me? is available on Amazon for $19.99
Receive email updates from me!
My blog: thescooponbalance.com
Follow me on Pinterest
I am no longer active on social media.