Ep 93: The Roots of Busyness
Last week we introduced the 4th and final Barrier to Balance known as Busyness. I shared with you 6 reasons busyness is a bad idea and I encouraged you to ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life. Today I’m continuing the discussion by helping you get to the root of your busyness. As John Ortberg says, hurry isn’t just a disordered schedule, it’s a disordered heart. So let’s get our hearts in order.
Different Kinds of Busy People
!. Poor Time-Manager–chicken with her head cut off. She is not actually over-committed. Her problem is managing her current commitments and responsibilities. It may be a result of one of the following.
- The Perplexed
- She doesn’t know her priorities
- She lacks self-discipline–she may be getting sucked into the phone/social media vortex
- The Perfectionist-stuck in details.
2. The Over-Committed–truly has too much on her plate because of one of the following:
- The People Pleaser–says yes to everything
- The Defender–feels trapped. Will defend each and every thing on her schedule
- Reflector–Trapped by Comparison trying to keep up with everyone else. Reflects what she sees other people doing.
- The Achiever–Doesn’t see the value of a non-busy life
Before we try to break down this barrier, keep this in mind:
1. The Biblical response to Busyness is not to say, “I will do nothing.” Work is good. God calls us to serve and be active.
2. This is hard work–it’s quite complicated because we are deeply connected to others.
3. Staying unbusy requires constant maintenance, just like a living and thriving garden.
4. We all have a different busy threshold, so don’t look around at anyone else’s schedule.
5. Your root issue will determine your remedy.
Listen to the whole series!
Perfection and People-Pleasing EP70-EP73
Comparison and Busyness EP90-EP92
PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO RATE AND REVIEW THIS PODCAST! THANK YOU!!!
Purchase Is the Voice in My Head God or Just Me? On Amazon
Work through this process in a Bible Study Workbook format: Purchase Finding Your Balance on Amazon
Want to lead a group through either of these Bible studies? Don’t forget to grab the Free Supplemental Leader Guide!
To stay in the loop about everything, be sure to be on my email list.
Have a question or comment? email me at firstname.lastname@example.org