Ep 18: What I Do to Manage My Depression and Anxiety Naturally
Depression affects 300 million people worldwide, and I am one of them. The good news is, depression is entirely treatable and almost always, preventable. If you have mild depression and anxiety and want to explore some options outside of prescription medication, I’m giving you the exact things I do on a daily basis that keep depression and anxiety at bay.
EP 16: This is where I tell my story of depression
Depression DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria
The DSM-5 outlines the following criterion to make a diagnosis of depression. The individual must be experiencing five or more symptoms during the same 2-week period and at least one of the symptoms should be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.
1. Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day.
2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.
3. Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
4. A slowing down of thought and a reduction of physical movement (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down).
5. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
6. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
7. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day.
8. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.
Lost Connections: Why You’re Depressed and How to Find Hope, by Johann Hari (affiliate link)
To read the list of things I do in blog post form, you can find a post I wrote on this a few years ago here.
Here is the blog post where I tell you all about Passion Flower and Valerian Root.
You can get them on Amazon too (affiliate links):
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more balance stuff at thescooponbalance.com
Follow me on Pinterest
To get to the root of your overwhelm, get Finding Your Balance, an 11-Lesson Bible Study.